Saturday, December 15, 2012

Would you rather be a human or a superman?

Doctor Who, an alien, a time lord, not a human. But he looks at the earth, which in sci-fi fashion is supposedly very young in the universe, humans are just getting their feet under them, and he magnifies them for all their messiness. And it makes me appreciate what God did when He created man. Did He choose to create emotionless robots (like the Cybermen) or creatures with super powers? No. He created simple, messy creatures and decided to use them to bring Him glory. Here's the most recent conversation I encountered in the Doctor Who episodes on this topic.

Season 2, Episode 7 "The Age of Steel," starring David Tennet as the Doctor

CyberController: "I will bring peace to the world. Everlasting peace. And unity. And uniformity."

Doctor Who: "And imagination? What about that? The one thing that led you here.  Imagination. You're killing it dead."

CC: "What is your name?"

Dr: "I'm the Doctor."

CC: "A redundant title. Doctors need not exist. Cybermen are never sick."

Dr: "But that's it! That's exactly the point! . . . . The cybermen won't advance. You'll just stop. You'll stay like this forever. A metal earth, with metal men and metal thoughts. Lacking the one thing that makes this planet so alive. People! Ordinary, stupid, brilliant people!"

CC: "You are proud of your emotions."

Dr: "Oh yeah."

CC: "Then tell me, Doctor. Have you known grief and rage and pain?"

Dr: "Yes, yes I have."

CC: "And they hurt?"

Dr: "Oh yes."

CC: "I can set you free. Would you not want that? A life without pain."

Dr: "You might as well kill me."

CC: "Then I take that option."

1 comment:

Naomes said...

Isn't it amazing how removing our ability to experience pain removes some of our humaness?