Friday, October 05, 2012

Day 5


31 Days of Quotes: Day 5
 If you are uninterested in the back story, just skip to the bold, colored section!

 My dear friend Naomi had discovered G.K. Chesterton and given me Orthodoxy. Because I was really enjoying Orthodoxy (and because I was passionate because my friend was), I went to my local used bookstore and found the only G.K. Chesterton book I could find: a book he wrote on Charles Dickens! I never finished the book because I realized as I read his praise of Dickens that I couldn’t fully appreciate the book until I read more of Dickens. So I put Chesterton down, picked up Dickens, and didn’t finish any of his books either. I’m sure I’ll eventually get back to them. But meanwhile, I did gain one quotable quote from my Chesterton buy! It’s a bit odd, but I wrote it on the last page of Revelations in my Bible. Let’s see if you can figure out why! It concerns Dickens’ Pickwick character:

 

“…still sustained with that merry fatalism that is natural to immortal beings – sustained by that hint of divinity which tells him in the darkest hour that he is doomed to live happily ever afterwards.” –G.K. Chesterton on Dickens’ Pickwick

 

Why put this quote in my Bible? Because although written about a fictional character, Chesterton’s words are true of Christians as well—in the darkest hour, we too are “doomed to live happily ever afterwards!”

No comments: